Hurray! It’s National Cake Week. What better excuse to consume endless slices of the nation’s favourite sweet treat?
Earlier this year, The Express newspaper revealed Britain’s favourite cake to bake is the classic Victoria sponge. However, Britain is very much split when it comes to purchasing cake; with tastes varying by region. An AGA poll found that Londoners and Scots prefer carrot cake, whereas the South East is partial to a lemon drizzle. The South West, North East, West Midlands, Yorkshire and Humberside regions all voted for chocolate cake as their baked good of choice.
Tea is the preferred accompaniment to cake for over half of Brits – no surprise there then.
With this in mind, LINPAC has identified five key trends in bakery that are likely to affect consumer behaviours and shape new innovations in the category.
- Super cakes; cakes boasting superfood ingredients such as ancient grains, coconut oil and vegetables are gaining popularity due to their healthier status
- Let’s get personal; personalisation in bakery is likely to boost gifting within the sector
- Start the day well; fortified baked goods are increasing in popularity as a breakfast alternative, with added fibre, protein,vitamins and minerals
- Mini me; small individual cakes, cake slices, bars and minis are all growing due to the trend for on-the-go consumption and portion control
- Pure indulgence; premiumisation and indulgence continue to be fundamental factors driving cake sales
Of all these, the key trend to watch out for seems to be the mini trend. Consumer demand is for sweet treats with controlled consumption through smaller portions. Premier Foods Channel director, Nick Wood, stated in a recent interview that the nibbles and bites sub-sector within cakes is now worth £78.6m and growing at a rate of 2.6% a year.
To meet the needs of the health-conscious consumer, the LINPAC LeanBake® individual or twin Portion Pack is manufactured from crystal clear fully recyclable rPET. This offers maximum product shelf appeal whilst addressing portion control. Therefore, consumers can give into those guilty pleasures in a ‘healthy’ way.
Ideal for cakes, gateaux, pies or flans – round, square or rectangular – LINPAC bakery packaging bases and lids rise to all occasions. The packs are not only light weight to drive lower cost and reduce waste but are also supercleaned in-house to ensure optimum food safety.
For displaying sumptuous snacks or protect delicate baked goods (such as intricately decorated cupcakes) LINPAC transport/POS Trays offer a robust rib design with cavitation between layers to ensure products arrive in one piece. What’s more, the trays come in an extensive range of sizes, shapes and colours further increasing the appeal.
But as Mel and Sue might say, ‘you ain’t seen muffin yet’ – take a look at the full range of LINPAC bakery solutions here…and enjoy National Cake Week!