Food Packaging Films - Pentafood®
At Klöckner Pentaplast, we know that safe, high-quality food packaging is critical to your customers. That’s why we offer Pentafood® films: a full range of rigid forming films for food.
- These films protect your product, extend its shelf life, and ensure safety and hygiene.
They are specially formulated with unique attributes, such as barrier protection and heat resistance
They are manufactured to look great and enhance shelf appeal
All of our food packaging films perform beautifully on current packaging and converting machines
For 50 years, Klöckner Pentaplast has been providing solutions to the food packaging industry.
Pentafood® films are manufactured at multiple production sites worldwide. All are fully dedicated to the special requirements of the food packaging industry.
- Our global food film production centers have extensive experience and a broad knowledge of polymers and formulations
Klöckner Pentaplast has fully integrated production processes to tightly control film properties. The entire production process is traceable.
- We guarantee consistent quality across the globe, regardless of production location
Our production sites are compliant with EN ISO 9001:2000
Food Safety & Hygiene
Our production sites work in compliance with international safety and hygiene standards. We hold a wide range of certifications that guarantee the safety of films in direct contact with the packaged food:
- Depending on the regional area of production, Pentafood® films are in compliance with the respective EU regulations and directives, FDA, and HPB, as well as the applicable national legislations and international standards. Additional certifications and compliances available upon request
- These films comply with all applicable requirements of the U.S. Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and the Food Additive Regulations
Security of Supply
With Klöckner Pentaplast global sourcing, you can always get the film you need.
- Multiple production sites ensure security of supply
Our integrated logistic systems guarantee just-in-time deliveries
We build in production flexibility for unscheduled demand
Klöckner Pentaplast is the only film company in the industry to provide global technical support.
- We can guide you to the best and most cost-effective film for your needs
- Our technical service staff is highly trained at test centers furnished with state-of-the-art machinery
- They provide you with ongoing support for all film and processing issues
Research & Development
With our long-running production knowledge and extensive packaging experience, we think of ourselves as a partner to the food packaging industry.
- Our films are developed in close cooperation with the industry to ensure that we meet its ever-changing needs
We continually exchange know-how with raw material suppliers to improve our films
- Our strong partnerships with packaging machinery producers assure that our materials process well
We create customized solutions that optimize total packaging costs without sacrificing functionality. And we provide ongoing technical assistance and advice in the processing of our films
Our comprehensive Pentafood® line includes a full spectrum of rigid forming films with mono- and multi-layer structures. These films are ideal for packaging fresh and prepared foods. They are also thermoformed for bakery trays, confectionery trays, and cups for the dairy industry.
- Pentafood® films are based on a broad range of polymers, including PET, PP, PS, PLA, and PVC.
These films protect food, extend its shelf life, and ensure food safety and hygiene.
Pentafood® films are ideal for packaging all kinds of fluid, powdery, pasty, and solid food and non-food products.
Beautiful, high-quality Klöckner Pentaplast films enhance shelf appeal.
We customize formulations so that our products always meet your specific requirements.
A wide range of certifications guarantee the safety of Pentafood® films in direct contact with packaged food. These films comply with:
- Depending on the regional area of production, Pentafood® films are in compliance with the respective EU regulations and directives, FDA, and HPB, as well as the applicable national legislations and international standards. Additional certifications and compliances available upon request.
Applicable requirements of the U.S. Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and the Food Additive Regulations.
Pentafood® mono-layer films are ideal for processing into thermoformed trays, blisters, and clamshells for fresh produce, bakery products, snacks, confectionery, chocolates, chewing gum, and sandwiches.
- They process extremely well on all standard thermoforming machines.
- Microwave-safe and chemical resistant films are available.
They are suitable for flexo and rotogravure printing, as well as for lamination and metallization.
Pentafood® Rigid TerraPET® APET Films
Consisting of up to 30% renewable resource content, rigid TerraPET® APET films provide the same brilliant cosmetic clarity and performance properties as standard APET films while helping customers meet their sustainable packaging goals. Made in part from sugar cane, TerraPET® films allow customers to replace fossil fuel based material with up to 30% plant based material.
TerraPET® films have the same performance properties as standard APET films so there is no need to change tooling or package design. These films process on existing equipment in the same thermoforming range and have the same cuttability as standard APET. With a heat-deflection temperature of over 145°F, no special handling or logistics are necessary. These films are certified to meet packaging regulations and to comply with all FDA regulations for direct food contact as well as all applicable EU regulations and directives for food contact.
TerraPET® films are ideal for
Other thermoformed applications
As with standard APET films, packages produced with these films can be marked with SPI resin identification code 1 and waste from thermoforming operations is compatible with existing pre-consumer recycling streams.
We offer a broad selection of Pentafood® multi-layer films to meet specific industry requirements. The films are based on a combination of a broad range of polymers.
- They offer different barrier levels against oxygen, moisture, and aroma, depending on the package needs and required shelf life
Films are available with different levels of temperature resistance for use in hot filling, sterilization and pasteurization, as well as for microwave-safe and oven-proof packages for prepared food
These films resist fat
Our multi-layer films are suitable for MAP/CAP and vacuum packaging applications
Pentafood® multi-layer films are ideal for packaging:
- fresh pasta
- fresh pizza
- processed and fresh meat
- smoked meat
- yellow fat products
- ready-to-eat meals
Klöckner Pentaplast expanded multi-layer films provide varying barrier levels against oxygen, moisture, and aroma. They actually reduce packaging weight at barrier levels comparable to those of compact packaging materials.
- The films are based on different polymers
They are suitable for MAP pasteurization and microwave-safe packaging
- The films process extremely well on all current thermoforming and FFS machines
Pentafood® light expanded multi-layer films are ideal for packaging:
fresh and processed meat
Pentafood® heat-resistant films are manufactured in mono- or multi-layer structures, depending on the food product to be packaged and the required shelf life.
- Our product range includes films suitable for pasteurization, sterilization, microwave safe, and oven-proof packaging for prepared and frozen food
- Klöckner Pentaplast heat-resistant films are available in transparent and opaque colors, and process well on all standard thermoforming machines
Pentafood® heat-resistant films are ideal for packaging:
- fast food
microwave safe trays
oven proof trays
Pentafood® bicolor films were specifically developed for the production of multi-colored clamshells, face-seal blisters, and trays for fresh food and bakery products, as well as tableware for the catering industry.
- These films offer excellent processability and outstanding mechanical properties
We have developed a unique production technology that allows us to manufacture bi- and tri-color films in any transparent and opaque color combination
Klöckner Pentaplast offers SmartCycle® films to help our customers achieve their sustainable packaging goals. Made from recycled plastic beverage bottles, these films are used for trays, clamshells, blisters, all-plastic boxes, and various other containers as well as printed signage and stationery applications.
SmartCycle® mono- and multi-layer films offer a range of products with various guaranteed levels of post-consumer recycled plastic bottle content. These films are certified to meet packaging regulations and to comply with all FDA regulations for direct food contact as well as all applicable EU regulations and directives for food contact. In addition, the films exceed U.S. California and Oregon regulations for rigid plastic packaging containers.
SmartCycle® films provide a plastic packaging option to consumer product companies and retailers while building long-term value by helping them move toward their sustainable packaging goals. Because the SmartCycle® logo may appear on the plastic containers using this film, consumers can make educated choices on their purchases.
The SmartCycle® process of making film from recycled plastic bottles saves energy, natural resources, and, ultimately, will help spur collection of bottles and potentially custom packaging. This begins with marking all packages with the SmartCycle® logo derived from the petaloid base found on most PET bottles. A key goal of SmartCycle® is to help people feel positive (Smart) about and responsible for their packaging choice by conveying the story of sustainable packaging to the entire packaging value chain (Cycle)—consumers, retailers, OEMs, converters, and resource recovery plants. Finally, at the end of the use cycle, the goal of the SmartCycle® mark is to facilitate actual recycling—not down cycling. Currently, most municipalities, retailers, and recycling companies collect only bottles and do not recycle plastic clamshells due to concern for mixing polymer types. With a unique identifying mark, SmartCycle® packages could potentially allow these items to be reprocessed into new containers along with bottles made from like plastics.
Pentafood® Biofilm™ Rigid PLA Films
Pentafood® Biofilm™ rigid PLA film is based on NatureWorks® biopolymer and is derived from annually renewable resources, such as corn. These films are ideal for thermoforming into trays for fresh produce, salads, and bakery products.
- Pentafood® Biofilm™ rigid PLA film can be easily processed under standard conditions, on most standard machinery, like other rigid films
The film is sealable to itself
It enhances shelf appeal and supports the marketing of ecological brands
NatureWorks, Ingeo and the Ingeo logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of NatureWorks LLC in the USA and other countries.
For more information about Pentafood® APET++ click here.
For more information about Pentafood® snapsil® click here.
For more information about Pentafood® Hotfill PET click here.
For more information about Pentafood® Metallized Film
Pentafood® Metallized Film Sales Sheet (English)
Pentafood® Temperature Resistant Films Sales Sheet (English)
Pentafood® SmartCycle® Films Sales Sheet (Americas) (English)
Pentafood® Thermoforming Films Sales Sheet (English)